ABOUT THE PROJECT
Chinatown is one of Calgary’s most distinctive cultural neighbourhoods with a long and deep history. It is a unique area, vital to the fabric of Calgary and important to residents, citizens and visitors.
Chinatown needs a new policy for development, a new Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP). Its current ARP is now more than 30 years old. When the ARP was approved in 1986, the role of community character and culture were not well-represented. So, for the first time in Calgary, a cultural plan will be created with the Chinatown community to give direction to planning policy. With the guidance of the community, these new plans will help support Chinatown’s future as a vibrant, culturally-rich place to live, visit, work, and do business, for generations to come.
Tomorrow’s Chinatown is a project to create the first cultural plan in coordination with a new local area plan through collaboration with the Chinatown community.
Our goals are to:
- Outline a vision for community character, cultural preservation and evolution to provide certainty for Chinatown’s future
- Consider Chinatown’s culture when planning to build in the area
- Find opportunities for public and private investment and redevelopment
- Support successful integration of a new Green Line LRT station in Chinatown
- Strengthen Chinatown’s cultural identity by finding ways the community and stakeholders, like The City, can work together
For more information about the project, please go to calgary.ca/chinatown.
COMMUNITY ADVISORY GROUP
Thank you to all who applied or nominated someone else to be on the Advisory Group!
Advisory Group applications are currently being evaluated.
The advisory group will:
- Advise on the development of the first cultural plan and a new local area plan
- Collaborate with 15 – 20 other Advisory Group members, project team members from The City and members of the Chinatown community
- Support and advocate for Tomorrow’s Chinatown in the Chinatown community
- Provide insight based on your personal, professional and cultural knowledge and experience
- Help with communication and engagement with the Chinatown community
- Meet monthly during the life of the project, approximately April 2020 – December 2021
- Be available at least 5 hours per month