ABOUT THE PROJECT
Why this project now?
- Stephen Avenue helps define the identity of Calgary’s downtown
- A vibrant Stephen Avenue is critical for attracting new businesses and tenants downtown
- Physical conditions are deteriorating – a new plan for the street is needed
- Clearly defining a path forward sends a positive message to property and business owners, and Calgarians
This project will aim to:
- Extend the energy and liveliness of the pedestrian mall westward along 8 Avenue S.W.
- Establish a new vision for Stephen Avenue that creates opportunities for private investment and redevelopment
- Create short and long-term strategies that can be implemented over time to make Stephen Avenue better for Calgarians and visitors
A path towards success
Generating a bold and compelling vision for the future of Stephen Avenue will require new ways of working and thinking for The City of Calgary and its cultural and business partners. In order for any public space to thrive, like a garden, it must be actively cultivated.
A great public space must be well located and well designed; seeded with the right combination of culture, commerce and play; and create authentic invitations for many people to care and participate in actively stewarding and caring for the space.
A new streetscape design is necessary but not sufficient to catalyze the transformation of Stephen Avenue. Great design must be paired with a robust program for economic investment and redevelopment and a strong framework for operations, maintenance and stewardship.
The Stephen Avenue Streetscape Master Plan will focus on 8 Avenue S. in the downtown core – from Olympic Plaza (Macleod Trail S.E.) to Mewata Armoury (11 Street S.W.).
Provide your input
The project team has been observing public life, analyzing information, listening to stakeholders and reviewing case studies and innovative place making concepts from around the world – and we’re ready to share insights with you from this discovery phase.
This is your chance to learn more about the current state of Stephen Avenue (ie. development, economics, demographics, form & function), let us know if we hit the mark with our insights, and provide feedback on case studies and preliminary ideas that could inform the future design.
Please click 'here' to review our insight report and then provide your feedback below.