Why is this corridor being considered?
5/6 Avenue is an important walking, biking, and wheeling connection from Sunnyside to Parkdale, serving residents of Hillhurst and West Hillhurst. It has been identified on the City's long-term 5A (Always Available for All Ages and Abilities) Network. It currently doesn't meet the needs of all Calgarians, as the painted and shared lanes feel uncomfortable for children, families, and most folks who are interested in biking and wheeling more often. This route also provides access to five parks and a high school. Sections of this street are scheduled for pavement rehabilitation in 2022.
For the purpose of engagement, this project has been broken into four zones:
- Zone 1: 5 Avenue N.W. from Crowchild Trail to 27 Street N.W.
- Zone 2: 5 Avenue N.W. from 18 Street N.W. to Crowchild Trail
- Zone 3: 6 Avenue N.W. from 16 Street N.W. to 18 Street N.W.
- Zone 4: 5 Avenue N.W. from 10 Street N.W. to 16 Street N.W.
What are our goals for this corridor design?
- Enhance cycling and wheeling
- Improve pedestrian safety
- Enhance the look and feel of the streetscape
- Reduce vehicle speeds
Click through the tabs below to learn more about and provide your feedback on each of the four zones. Don't forget to click submit at the end of each tab.