Phase 2: EXPLORE is now CLOSED.
Phase 2 of the Greater Forest Lawn Communities Local Area Planning was open Jan. 17 - Feb. 12, 2023. Click on link to review the survey questions.
Communities change and evolve over time.
Conversations about where, why and how revitalization and redevelopment should happen are essential to ensure our communities change in the right ways. Through the local area planning process, we’ll work together to create a future vision for how land could be used and redeveloped in the area.
A local area plan outlines a future vision for the area, provides guidance on what growth and change makes sense where, and includes development direction that residents, landowners, builders and developers, city planners and Councillors can commonly refer to as new development ideas are proposed by property owners and landowners in the area.
Learn more about Local Area Planning in Calgary.
To learn more about projects happening in the Greater Forest Lawn area click here.
The Greater Forest Lawn Communities Local Area Planning project is one of the 42 multi-communities areas in the city.This project includes the communities of:
- Albert Park/Radisson Heights
- Applewood Park
- Erin Woods
- Forest Heights
- Forest Lawn
- Forest Lawn Industrial
- Penbrooke Meadows
- Red Carpet
- A portion of Golden Triangle
A new local area plan will fill gaps in communities/areas where no local plan currently exists and replace other plans that are largely outdated. In this project context, the local area plan will cover multiple communities and will be adopted by Council as an Area Redevelopment Plan.
The International Avenue Area Redevelopment Plan was created to guide development along 17 Avenue S.E. in 2018.
As part of the Greater Forest Lawn Communities Local Area Planning project, the International Avenue ARP will be revisited, and applicable policies will be translated to be integrated into the Greater Forest Lawn Communities Local Area Plan. The process is ongoing, and the initial work to translate the International Avenue ARP has begun in Draft Chapter 2 of the Greater Forest Lawn Local Area Plan.
Applications along 17th Avenue S.E. are being accepted for processing throughout the Greater Forest Lawn Local Area Planning process. Once the Greater Forest Lawn Local Area Plan is adopted by Council, the International Avenue ARP will be rescinded as development along 17th Avenue S.E. will then be guided by the Local Area Plan.
Until then, please refer to the International Avenue Area Redevelopment Plan for more information including development directions.
Timeline item 1 - complete
Phase 1: Spring - Fall 2022
- Looking back at the past, understanding the present and envisioning the future of the area.
- Share what you love about the community, what could be improved, and your vision for the future.
- Apply to be a member of the working group
Timeline item 2 - active
Phase 2: Winter 2022/2023
- Exploring where and how growth and change could happen in the area.
Timeline item 3 - incomplete
Phase 3: Spring/ Fall 2023
- Refining the local area plan and confirming investment priorities.
Timeline item 4 - incomplete
Phase 4: Fall / Winter 2024
- Sharing the final local area plan and bringing it forward to Committee and Council for review and decision.
Timeline item 5 - active
- Landowners decide if and when they want to develop or redevelop their land.
- If a landowner decides they want to redevelop their land under a different land use district (zone), they must apply for a land use redesignation.
- In some cases, The City (rather than a specific landowner) will rezone land. The City is more likely to rezone land if it is aligned with the long-term vision for growth and redevelopment such as in the Municipal Development Plan or local area plan.
- City Council is the decision maker on all land use amendements.
Timeline item 6 - active
UPDATE & AMEND
- Local area plans are meant to be ‘living documents’ that may be amended and updated over time as the community changes and evolves and as conditions and circumstances in the area change.
- City Council is the decision maker on all local area plan amendments.
Phase 1: ENVISION
Click here to view the Phase 1: ENVISION page for more information about the first phase of engagement.
To view what we heard from the public and key themes in each phase of engagement of the Greater Forest Lawn Local Area Plan, click on the links below:
The City defines engagement as: