The Symons Valley Centre is one of several projects The City is undertaking to plan and deliver civic facilities that serve multiple purposes and services.
NOTICE: November 28, Community Outreach
In order to keep you informed throughout the Symons Valley Centre project, we will be holding an informal pop-up event on:
Date: Thursday, Nov. 28, 2019
Location: Loblaws City Market - Sage Hill (10 Sage Hill Plaza NW)
Time: 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
The purpose of this pop-up event is for you to ask questions, learn about the proposed development and next steps.
NOTICE: November 19 - December 6, Geotechnical Evaluation & Land Survey
From November 19 – December 6, The City will be conducting a geotechnical evaluation and land survey at the site (251 Sage Hill Boulevard NW). To minimize impacts to citizens, this work is being carried out during business hours.
- The geotechnical work will allow The City to evaluate the soil for input into the design of the Symons Valley Centre.
- Sample drilling will take place at a variety of locations on the site. There will be increased noise during the drilling.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
In October 2016, The City of Calgary purchased a parcel of land in the community of Sage Hill located at 251 Sage Hill Boulevard N.W. for the development of a Calgary Public Library branch and Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) hub for the five Symons Valley Communities: Sage Hill, Nolan Hill, Evanston, Kincora, and Sherwood. In addition to a library and BRT, The City is exploring other site development opportunities for additional City services, other government service partners and developers.
With input from the public, The City has developed a Master Plan (outlining timing for build phases, transportation requirements and gross land arrangement of City services) which establishes a long-term, shared vision for the area to guide further development.
The Master Plan was presented to Calgary Planning Commission on Thursday, June 20, 2019 where a recommendation for approval was received. At a Public Hearing on July 22, 2019 City Council approved the Master Plan and Land Use Redesignation.
- Deliver a new library for surrounding communities
- Meet Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) requirements for bus bays and shelters
- Provide affordable housing units to support the ongoing need in our city
- Explore opportunities for alignment with other government services, non-profit services and private developers to develop a multi-use center
- Consider opportunities to integrate community space and arts and culture activities
The site is centrally located within five developing communities in the Symons Valley area in northwest Calgary: Kincora, Sage Hill, Nolan Hill and Evanston. The future population of these areas is expected to reach 55,000 people.
Please click here to view the What we heard report from June 2017.
Please click here to view the boards presented at the Open Houses in Spring 2018.
Please click here to view the What we heard report from June 2018.
Thank you to everyone who participated by providing input into the land use redesignation application.