ABOUT THE PROJECT
In April 2017 the federal government introduced a bill to legalize recreational cannabis by July, 2018. The federal bill outlines a framework for regulating cannabis production and sets standards for health and safety, establishing criminal prohibitions, and clarifying what aspects of cannabis regulation will be the responsibility of the provinces. On November 16, the Government of Alberta introduced Bill 26, an Act to Control and Regulate Cannabis based on its cannabis framework.
The City is thinking about how legalizing cannabis will affect us locally and how we can manage legalization in the best interests of Calgarians. Here in Calgary, your input will be an important part of this process and will inform changes and updates to affected Calgary bylaws, and the development of new bylaws and policies to respond to the legalization of cannabis.
TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION
We're reviewing and looking for public input on:
- Rules/regulations required for businesses operating within the municipality
- Rules/regulations relating to public consumption
- Enforcement of municipal, provincial and federal regulation of legalized recreational cannabis
Many topics related to the Legalization of Cannabis fall outside of The City of Calgary's role in decision making, including:
- Setting a different legal age than the province – this decision falls under the jurisdiction of the province. The City will align its regulations to provincial decision-making
- Rules/regulations related to drug-impaired driving – The City is bound to enforce federal and provincial legislation and has no decision-making authority in this area
- Workplace safety – rules and regulations fall under the jurisdiction of the province. The City will align its policies with provincial regulations
- Rules/regulations restricting tobacco and alcohol consumption. The purpose of this engagement is to gather feedback on the legalization of cannabis
- Prohibiting retail sales in Calgary –The City of Calgary has not advocated to prohibit retail sales within its boundaries
FEEDBACK FORM - CLOSED
Public engagement on the legalization of cannabis will be completed by December 10, 2017. All feedback collected will be shared with Calgarians on this page through a 'What we Heard' report. Feedback will be considered and a 'What we Did' report will be shared in the winter of 2018 to show how public feedback informed the proposed amendments to bylaws and potential creation of new bylaws.
The proposed bylaw amendments are scheduled to be presented to Council in April 2018. If approved by Council, the changes will be implemented and the development permit process will be initiated to prepare for legalization in July 2018.