- The amended West View ASP is now available for review.
- City staff presented the draft plan to the Standing Policy Committee on Planning & Urban Development on July 3, 2019. SPC on PUD advanced Administration’s recommendation of approval to Council for decision. A copy of the July 3, 2019 SPC on PUD minutes can be found .
staff presented the draft plan at a Public Hearing of Council on July 29,
2019. Council held a Public Hearing and gave Bylaw 62P2019 First Reading.
A copy of the July 29, 2019 Council Minutes can be found
Next Steps The Calgary Metropolitan Region Board Administration completed their review of the West View ASP and recommended approval on September 11, 2019. The application is now in the 28 day member municipality review period. Should it go unchallenged by the Board, it will proceed to Second and Third Readings of Council on October 21, 2019.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The City is in the process of drafting an Area Structure Plan (ASP) for the West View community. The West View ASP will provide a vision for the future development of 254 hectares (629 acres) of land located within the west sector of the city. The plan area is bounded by the Bow River to the north, the communities of Valley Ridge and Crestmont to the east, and by Rocky View County to the south and west. The plan area is a joint planning area between The City and Rock View County, and will follow the processes outlined in the Rocky View County/City of Calgary Intermunicipal Development Plan.
The topography of the area is primarily rolling grassland with a signiﬁcant wooded area to the north, adjacent to and rising above The Bow River. A ravine system provides a unique natural amenity along the western portion of the plan area, both north and south of the highway. The land rises to its highest elevation to the south and west providing views to the ranges of the Rocky Mountains.
What is an Area Structure Plan (ASP)?
An ASP is a long-term planning document that sets out a vision for a community and puts in place policies and guidelines that work towards achieving that vision. The purpose of an ASP is to:
- Refine and implement The City’s broad planning objectives and policies of the Municipal Development Plan and other policies by promoting logical, compatible and sustainable development.
- Guide and direct the specific land use, subdivision and development decisions that collectively determine the form that the plan area will take. These development decisions include the provision of land uses, essential services and facilities, transportation systems, population, jobs and densities, and the sequence of development.
MAP OF PLAN AREA
The City has held two phases of engagement to draft the new area structure plan for the future community of West View.
- In the first phase of engagement, we collected input to gather a high-level understanding of the issues, ideas and concerns as we draft a vision for the future community.
- In the second phase of engagement, we collected input to help evaluate the proposed land use concepts.
To review the feedback from both phases, please click through the tabs.
To review the draft area structure plan, please click here.
To review the information panels from the June 18 session, click here.
Phase Two Engagement
The City reviewed your feedback from phase one engagement and drafted two land use concepts based on a combination of technical analysis, community input, City policy and market viability. We were looking for your input to help us evaluate these two options in this phase of engagement.
For a summary of feedback received in phase two, please read the What We Heard Report
To review the information shared at the in-person event in phase two, please read the information panels.
Phase One Engagement
Thank you for providing your input for phase one engagement. Engagement for this project to date has provided an opportunity for you to provide a high-level overview of issues and opportunities as we begin work on the new ASP.
For a summary of feedback received in phase one, please review the What We Heard Report