ABOUT THE PROJECT
On November 24, 2016 Council directed Administration to undertake and evaluate an amendment to the West Springs Area Structure Plan (ASP), through the Developer Funded ASP Program. The developer funded ASP amendment will focus on approximately 34 hectares of land and is being reviewed concurrently with two applications, West District and West Park. These two applications for outline plans and land use must align with the proposed West Springs ASP amendment.
The ASP amendment proposes to add approximately 2,400 residential units in multiple building forms to the community. Retail and office uses, as well as park spaces are also proposed. The scope of the proposal will also require an amendment to the West Springs Area Structure Plan (ASP).
- West District: Approximately 22 hectares of land is being reviewed as an Outline Plan and Land Use Amendment application. West District is a proposal for a master planned neighbourhood in west Calgary that proposes a compact, higher-intensity (people and jobs), transit-supportive and mixed-use neighbourhood. Located within the community of West Springs, the West District plan area is south of Old Banff Coach Road S.W., east of 85 Street S.W., west of 77 Street S.W., and north of 9 Avenue S.W.
- West Park: Approximately 4 hectares of land is being reviewed as an Outline Plan and Land Use Amendment application to plan and develop a portion of West Springs, to be called West Park. West Park includes the area south of 9 Avenue S.W., between 77 Street and 85 Street S.W. (including the parcels of land located at 819 81 Street S.W. and 839 81 Street S.W.) The proposal is for medium density residential development.
Please note: At this time, the southeast area of West Springs amendment is on hold for further technical review and will not be proceeding to Calgary Planning Commission and Council.
West Spring Area Structure Plan Map
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback in Phase One. Feedback is currently closed.
There are two phases of engagement for this project. Phase One: Education and Issues Scoping was wrapped up in April, 2017. In Phase One of engagement, participants were able to:
- Learn about the West Springs Area Structure Plan (ASP), the applications in the area, and The City’s planning process.
- Share your vision for the West Springs area.
- Tell us your ideas, thoughts and concerns about future changes to the ASP.
Watch for details for additional in-person and online engagement activities in May 2017.