What is the project?
The goal of this project is to improve existing conditions for people who walk and wheel in the community of Altadore. The project includes the upgrading of park and recreation infrastructure in Sandy Beach Park.
The area has experienced an increase in pedestrian and vehicular traffic, as the area increases in population and the diversity of users, the needs change and we need to respond to these needs. The proposed project will provide the neighborhood, local businesses, and visitors with an improved public realm for safe, easy, and accessible travel.
This project will include the following:
- sidewalks, pathway and bikeway improvements,
- traffic calming and pedestrian safety enhancements,
- park and recreation upgrades,
- activating public spaces to encourage Calgarians to get active and creative
- additional parking
As part of the Established Areas Growth and Change Strategy, City of Calgary Council approved the Phase 1 recommendation report on May 25, 2020, and committed $30M for public realm improvement projects within the established area. The program provides funding to support short-term (1-3 years) public realm improvement projects in established communities where growth and change are happening.
Answer the questions below to share your feedback from November 29th to December 15th, 2021 on the two design options for the pop-up park.
Please Provide Your Input
Sandy Beach Park Entry
Sandy Beach Park
Future improvements to the Sandy Beach Park programming or recreational amenities might include:
- Expanding park area and improving turf
- Pickleball courts
- Community-based wayfinding programs and walkways
- Winter activation (i.e. lighting, firepits, skating rink, skating pathways)
- Table tennis with storage box
- Fitness stations
- Seating (i.e. benches, Adirondack chairs, covered picnic shelters)
Upgrade the gravel access road and parking in the park:
- 50 Avenue S.W.
- Expanding parking
The following images are concept images only.
Provide Your Feedback
Two potential design options for the park area have been developed based on feedback collected from key stakeholders. We would like you to review the concepts below and tell us what you like and what could be improved for each design.
Share Your Input
Sidewalks and Pathways Improvements
In 2022, we will be implementing the following missing sidewalks, pathways and improving a crossing at a key intersection:
Enhance pathways and bikeways (3 locations: North of 42 Avenue, 45 Avenue and 48 Avenue):
- from the adjacent park at 14A Street to 15 Street S.W.
Complete missing sidewalk/pathway connections:
- linking pathway to existing pathway connection
- 49 Avenue S.W. lane to walkway or pathway
- Rundle Elementary and Altadore School
- 16 Street and 42 Avenue S.W. intersection
- 16 Street and 44 Avenue S.W. intersection
- 16 Street and Altadore Avenue/46 Avenue S.W. intersection
- 15 Street and 42 Avenue S.W. intersection
Upgrade the gravel access road:
- 50 Avenue S.W.
See the map below to view where the mobility improvements are being built.